What should I be getting paid?

The minimum you can be paid as an 18 to 20 year old is £231.69, aged 21 and over it is £289.25.

Most staff will be scale 4 (rider/groom/yard person) where the minimum is £322.39.

Assistants such as barn leaders and 2nd/3rd travelling staff earn £330.00 and senior management £350.00.

All of these figures are minimums, more information can be found in the MoA by clicking here.

  1. Who organises and decides how the pool money is given out?

The yards staff, usually senior management, are responsible for organising and distributing the pool money.

The trainer must have no involvement. For further guidance click here.

  1. I have been given a disciplinary letter, what should I do?

Contact NASS as soon as you can on 01638 663411 or email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

  1. After an accident at work I am off injured, should I still get paid?

Yes, if your accident was at work, on the way to or from work your wages will be covered for up to two years by RIABS. For further guidance click here.

  1. I have been told I am not needed anymore and been given notice, where do I stand?

You are entitled to one weeks “notice pay” for each year you have worked up to a maximum of 12 years.  For further details about notice pay click here.

An employer can ask you to leave at any time up until you have served 2 years in the job for no apparent reason unless you have protected characteristics. Once you have served two years you have considerably more employment rights.

To see what a protected characteristic is google ACAS and type in protected characteristics.

  1. What Racing Expenses should I get when going racing?

£10.00 up to 6 hours away (£7 tax free) £10.00 between 6-8 hours away (£9 tax free) £13.50 for over 8 hours away.

The hours away must be outside your normal working hours.

£15.00 overnight allowance.

£30.00 Sunday racing payment.

£30.00 for every day you are racing abroad.

  1. What overtime should I get paid when racing?

Currently £6.70 per hour, this will rise to £7.20 for over 25s from April 1st 2016.

  1. When should I be paid overtime?

Overtime is time plus one half and double time on a Sunday.

Anything over 40 hours on your weekend off is classed as overtime and anything over 45 hours on your weekend on is classed as overtime.

To calculate your hourly rate take 2 weeks wages and divide by 85 that is your hourly rate. 

  1. I’ve decided to leave my current job, what notice do I have to give?


You should give one weeks’ notice for every year worked but refer to your contract if you have one. Senior staff are often required to give more notice, again refer to your contract if you have one.

  1. How much holiday am I entitled to each year?

For the first year of your employment you are entitled to 30 days.

After your first year you are entitled to 32 days.

Once you have spent 5 years with the same employer you are entitled to 34 days.

  1. Do I have to work Bank holidays?

Yes. Bank holidays are inclusive in your annual leave.

  1. Do I have to work Christmas and New Year?


Most yards will have a rota that splits the yard in two with one half working Christmas and one half working the New Year. 


Be aware that if you have used all of your holiday you wouldn’t be entitled to any more time off, if you still have holiday left they may use that against any time you have off over the festive period.


Though most yards just work a rota system and get on with it. 



july nightsInformation about getting free admission to Newmarket Nights using your Staff Racing Pass

© National Association of Stable Staff 2015, all rights reserved

Website designed and managed by Newmarket Computer Services